Skip to main content

PSA: 7 months ago, I (Krista, owner of St PetersBARK) watched one of my dogs pass away tragically and watched as one of my other dogs suffered for weeks due to rodenticide (rodent poison) that they both somehow consumed. My husband and I do not use bait traps with those little green blocks and we still have no idea how that stuff ended up in our yard.

We watched our security camera footage for days trying to see if somebody threw some over the fence, nothing. We cleaned out our entire yard frantically for 3 days straight in search of any potential signs. Nothing. We started hearing from customers, neighbors, and friends that they knew a couple people in our area that also lost their dogs during that period of time from the same exact thing. The only thing we could think of was that a rodent brought the poison in the yard, or a bird dropped it, or the dogs ate a rodent that had eaten one of the blocks or bait. The city of St Pete uses that poison to bait boxes and things as part of the free rodent control program.

I have been largely silent on this topic but today my husband shared an article with me regarding this. I felt like after I collected myself that I should share this with our followers as a PSA because NOBODY should go through what we went through. Ever. If I can educate you guys and save 1 dog’s life, it’s worth it. By the way, not only do these types of poison affect our pets but it’s affecting the natural ecosystem – birds of prey, owls, tons of animals and our earth. There are natural ways of pest control out there and certain tasks we can all do better to prevent rodents… google is your friend in that regard.

As we move into spring and summer I want to share with you this extremely helpful site listing the different kinds of rodenticides and how they can affect your animals. The common ground with the anticoagulant and the D3 poisons are they cause puking, lethargy, and excessive drinking. In the case of our dogs they projectile vomited, not a normal vomit. They were VERY lethargic and were both downing bowls of water.

In our case both dogs consumed the anticoagulant poison which luckily has an antidote of vitamin k and is also treated with IV therapy, as well as liver and kidney support. It was too late for Ellie, and she passed but Ares survived but was in the early states of organ failure. It took him 4 weeks to get his liver values back in normal range.

The D3 poison is scary as hell. Not only are smaller portions of that poison more toxic as compared to the anticoagulant but there isn’t an antidote, only IV treatment and meds. Let that sink in. There is no antidote for the D3 poison which is becoming more and more prevalent in its use.

With that, it’s critical to learn and know the warning signs of poisoning AND to know exactly where your closest emergency vet is. Once you find that vet put their address and phone number in your phone today and also the pet poison control hotline which is 855-289-0358.

We’ve all got enough to worry about, especially now, but again if I can help save 1 dog’s life by providing this info, well honestly that’s worth it to present something a little scary to our audience.


Rodenticide Reminder